VCSC Duck Derby Official Rules and Regulations
Presented by Valley Central Scholarship Council (VCSC), who is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization
1. Up to eight hundred (800) rubber ducks will be available for adoption and entered in the race. Ducks may be adopted from members of VCSC or online adoption at https://www.vcsc1964.com/2019-duck-derby. VCSC is seeking both individuals and businesses to adopt ducks for a suggested donation of $5 per duck. Approximately 800 ducks will race, but if fewer than 800 ducks race, all adopted numbers will be in the race. Winners will be determined by the first adopted ducks to cross the finish line. Chances of winning depend on the total number of qualified entries.
2. Ducks will be dropped into the Wallkill River at Benedict Park at approximately 10:00 AM on or about September 14, 2019; it is possible the date and time of the race will change and the most current information will be posted on the VCSC website at Ducks will float toward the finish line and be escorted by race marshals. No rubber duck will be left behind. Finish line is located at Pleasure Ground Park. Weather conditions or other interference may affect race time. VCSC reserves the right to change or alter the starting location or method at its discretion. If extreme circumstances beyond the reasonable control of VCSC prevent the completion of the race from occurring at the announced date and time, winners will be determined by a random drawing of adopted duck numbers. Such drawing if needed will be scheduled and conducted by VCSC.
3. All rubber ducks shall remain the property of VCSC, and handling and possession of the ducks will be by VCSC only. Prior to the beginning of the race, a unique number will be assigned to each duck adoption; each adoption will be assigned one number. Multiple duck adoptions on one entry form will be assigned multiple duck identification numbers. Each assigned number will correspond to a unique number associated with one of the rubber ducks in the race. Prizes will be awarded to the adopters whose names appear on the adoption forms corresponding to the qualifying ducks crossing the finish line in the order detailed in paragraph 4, below. A list of adopters and their corresponding duck numbers as of 6:00 PM of the day prior to the race will be posted at the event prior to the start of the race.
4. Once ducks are dropped into the Wallkill River (see paragraph 2, above) they are on their own, except that VCSC reserves the right to manually maneuver ducks that deviate off the racecourse. Otherwise, no attempt will be made to free or interfere with any duck unless deemed necessary by VCSC. A floating boom will be used to establish the racecourse and to contain ducks while on the racecourse. The boom will be used to direct the ducks to a collection point that will serve as the finish line. All ducks will be retrieved and removed from the water following the race conclusion. The first three (3) adopted ducks to cross the finish line will be deemed the consecutive winners and will share in a prize package totaling $2,280 (two-thousand, two-hundred and eighty dollars). Prizes will be awarded per the following schedule:
1st Place: $1,000
2nd Place: 2 -Jamis Durango Hard Tail Mountain Bikes 15” and 19” with helmets, each valued at $440 for a total of $880
3rd Place: 1 –Jamis X.24 DISC Kids Hard Tail Mountain Bike with helmet valued at $400
5. Prize winners will be announced following the race. If a minor wins any of the prizes, that prize will be transferred to the minor’s legal guardian. Winners do not need to be present to win but prizes must be picked up in person as prizes will not be mailed. When necessary, winners will be notified by telephone, electronic mail, or US Mail. If a winner does not claim his/her prize from VCSC within 30 days of the conclusion of the race, VCSC reserves the right to select an alternative prize winner through a random drawing of adoption numbers. A list of prize winners will be posted at https://www.vcsc1964.com/2019-duck-derby within 48 hours of the conclusion of the race (or drawing, if needed). By adopting one or more ducks adopters release VCSC and their officers, directors, members and other related entities from any and all liability with respect to prizes. All local, state, and/or Federal taxes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. When required, Federal and New York taxes will be withheld from winnings. By adopting a duck, winners consent to the promotional use of their names and likenesses by VCSC without additional compensation.
6. The entry portion of each adoption form must be completed, paid and delivered to VCSC as follows: (i) electronically through VCSC website https://www.vcsc1964.com/2019-duck-derby by 5:00 PM the day prior to the race, (ii) physically through a member of VCSC by Sept 1st; any adoptions received after times specified in (i) and (ii) may not be eligible for prizes. No further adoptions will be accepted by any means after all available ducks have been adopted. Entrants assume the risk of non-delivery of any entry.
7. This event is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
8. VCSC reserves the right to distribute net proceeds at our own discretion. For further information regarding the intended use of proceeds, see https://www.vcsc1964.com/2019-duck-derby.
9. No one is ineligible from participating in duck adoptions. VCSC members, spouses, household members, and all sponsors are eligible to win. VCSC asserts the validity and integrity of the event, and welcomes anyone to witness the race. Inquiries may be mailed to VCSC, 1175 Rte 17K, Montgomery, NY 12549, or use the contact us section on the VCSC website at https://www.vcsc1964.com/2019-duck-derby.